backgrnd

Jul 31, 2011

Buttermilk Pie

When I was a kid family gatherings were the norm.  I am from a large very close family on my Grandma's side and a equally large but not quite as close family on my Grandpa's side.  That being said family gatherings on my Grandpa's side were quite special when they happened.  The had the same concepts as other gatherings, tons of kids running around, special family time and of course the thing that holds everyone together, GREAT FOOD!
     I remember one gathering specifically when I was about eight, surveying the dessert table and seeing a strange creamy pie.  It wasn't fruit or pecan, our standard, it was different.  It was buttermilk! 
     The pie was even more special because my Uncle Robert, my Grandpa's brother, made it.  It was delicious and utterly memorable.
    This pie I made in honor of my Uncle Robert who passed away recently.  I made it in honor of his easy grins, his honest interest in me when I was a kid, and the gentle kind man he was, not even to mention his unforgettable belly laughs.  Please try it, you wont regret it!

Buttermilk Pie
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour, plus a little for dusting
1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Beat eggs slightly and add sugar and flour. Then add melted butter and mix well. Add buttermilk and vanilla and mix.   Dust the unbaked pie shell with a little bit of flour. Pour batter into shell, and then sprinkle a little more flour on top.
Bake at 325 degrees until the custard is set, approximately 1 hour.

1 comment:

Bo said...

I love buttermilk pie...this is a great tribute to your uncle.