backgrnd

Jan 3, 2011

Jack's Bean Stalk

     I learn things every day and I like to live life that way.  Today's life lesson was where brussels sprouts come from, or more importantly, the mutant things that grow wildly, resembling jacks fantastical bean stalk in SA's bosses back yard: Brussels sprouts. YUM!
  To be honest, I hadn't had my first one until last year.  I think that one of my parents must not like them because the never graced our table when I was a kid and I never had to sit there until I finished them(yes, I probably would of been that kid with brussels sprouts!). Once I purchased them I had no idea what to do with them so I consulted several resources.  Bacon and nuts seemed to be the way to go with these bad boys and I haven't tried a different recipe yet.
     The 'sprouts that SA brought home were feral: rampant with bugs, slugs and other wild life, they were over two feet long and bursting with the small bulbous goodness that is the noble brussels sprout. Clean, stamped organic and in a carton, they were NOT! I heaved up my Laura Ingalls Wilder short sleeves and     we went to work on them, SA tearing them from the stalk, and I making quick work of their outside coverings, quick to uncover the tender goodness of the inner leaf. And how were they you ask? Delicious.   In the following recipe, the bacon simply adds a burst of saltiness to the sprouts and the nuts a texture that I feel is needed.  We had this recipe with meatloaf and mashed potatoes, however I could of eaten it by itself like a warm salad.
Maybe sometime I will try a new recipe for brussels sprouts. Maybe.






Roasted Brussels Sprouts with bacon and pecans
2 lb. Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut into halves

1/2 lb. bacon, cooked crisp and chopped
4 T olive oil
4 T Whole Roasted and Salted Pecans, roughly chopped
Kosher Salt and Freshly ground Pepper to taste

In a large mixing bowl and add brussels sprouts with olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss well.

Line a sheet tray with foil and spray with a non stick cooking spray. Pour Brussels sprout mixture onto tray and spread out so sprouts are in a single layer. Roast for 20 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp. Turn twice while roasting. Remove from oven and sprinkle with bacon and pecans*. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve Hot.

*This sounds horrible as I type it(but I am going to pull the I AM SOUTHERN card here!), but I like to pour off most of the oil from the bacon and toast the pecans lightly in the pan.



7 comments:

Diana's Cocina said...

You had me with the bacon ~ Sounds delish

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a great recipe. This is Bob's favorite vegetable and I'm always looking for new ways to make them. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Kristen said...

I wish I had been an adult when I first had Brussels sprouts. Maybe I would appreciate them more than I do. I haven't closed the door on them, though, so maybe a dish like this with bacon and nuts is worth another try.

alice said...

Brussels sprouts are one of my favourite vegetables, it makes me sad that they have such a bad rep.
They are also delicious stirfried with onions, garlic, ginger and soy sauce.

Reeni said...

My Dad loves brussels sprouts and I did have to sit on the chair until I ate them! It's just recently that I am beginning to be able to eat them. These look incredibly good!!

Unknown said...

YUM! Well, I've never had brussel sprouts, but I'm open to it and these look fantastic! Thanks for bringing to Friday Potluck this week.

Hoping that your 2011 is going well -- and hope that you have more beanstalks in your future -- I'm hoping for a Jack's chive plant this year, myself :)

Lea Woodard said...

You know how I feel about Brussel Sprouts...but I would actually try these!