backgrnd

Oct 16, 2010

Pop. Six. Squish. Unh-uh. Cicero. Lipschitz. *

I've been really obsessed with making pizza lately and there was only so much time before I decided to make a Chicago style stuffed pizza.  My absolute favorite kind of pizza ever. Not that I have ever been to Chicago, but I have had the delivery! So tonight I decided to try my hand at the double crusted goodness.  This recipe was really good, and making it in my spring form pan was a great idea. It made it super easy to get out of the pan, and I think it will help with not making the crust soggy. I might have went a little overboard on the filling but all in all it was delicious.




Crust:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp yeast
6-8 TBS water
4-4.5 TBS
3/4 tsp Kosher salt
3/4  tsp sugar
Proof the yeast, then add to the dry ingredients. Mix and knead for 2 minutes. Coat the dough ball with oil. Let rise for 3-6 hours.
.

Toppings:
1 Package of chopped spinach (Well drained, and by well drained I mean squeezed and drained)
1 c. shredded mozzarella
1/4 c. sliced olives
1 onion sliced and lightly sauteed in olive oil
12 large pepperoni
1/2 c. crumbled cooked Italian sausage
1/4 c. Parmesan


Sauce:
1 large can organic crushed tomatoes
2 cloves of garlic smashed and finely chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp. agave sweetener
Italian spices to your taste
pepper
crushed red pepper flakes (I went heavy on those)

combine and set to side.

 Preheat the oven to 450° F. Punch down the dough and turn it out onto a work surface. Knead for about 1 minute. Divide the dough into two pieces, about 1/3 and 2/3 of the dough. Roll out the larger piece in a large circle until it is about 3 inches larger than the spring form pan and 1/8 inch thick. Butter the bottom and sides of the pan and  place the dough into the pan and push it into the bottom and sides. The dough should overlap the pan by about 1 inch.  Roll the second piece until it is the same size as the pan. Mix the  cheese and spinach together and place in bottom of pan. Then add a layer of pepperoni and on top of that sauteed onions and olives.  Top with spicy sausage and add another layer of cheese and then tomato sauce.  Lay the second piece of dough on top, then roll  the two edges of the dough together with your fingers to form a thick border. Press down on the filling with your hand, and cut a 1-inch slit in the center of the top crust to allow steam to escape.

* A couple of things in hindsight:
--I wish I would of baked the pizza and then put the sauce on top of the finished pizza.
--I wish I had made this bad boy all vegetables and also made the spinach layer a little less thick.  It was good but I wanted it mixed in more.
--Next time purple onions instead of white and more spice definitely.

All in all it was pretty good I  am going to continue on my search for a super yummy buttery good crust and possibly one that doesn't have to rise so much.

I know, I know weird title if you have never seen Chicago, which I was singing lines from while cooking, photographing and writing this blog!

No comments: