backgrnd

Oct 8, 2010

How to Make a Green Bean Utterly Unhealthy

SA and I are pretty boring.  We rarely go out during the week, and much prefer to spend our evenings, walking our hotdog bandido, watching movies, or just hanging out.  We do however make exceptions for our friends T and M who literally live around the corner for us.  We like to go over, let our fur babies hang out together in their back yard and a lot of times we eat dinner together, and hang out.  A lot of times it's spontaneous.  This time we were going over to pick up some tomatoes that M grew.  Well, going to pick up tomatoes turned into lets have dinner! Great! Worked for us...except I had already defrosted some meat and also had big plans.
So we decided to have a combined dinner!!! Best of both worlds! T and M were having fried zucchini from the garden and some pork chops on the grill.  SA and I were totally having a junk food night and were having a buffalo chicken pizza complete with Ray's buffalo chicken hot sauce, cheddar cheese and homemade pizza dough.  Oh, and fried green beans with a P.F. Chang's like sauce to go with it.  Crazy menu, I know but in my defense, SA brought home some mutant large green beans from his boss and I wasn't sure what to do with them!
At any rate, we decided to eighty-six the pork chops and had fried zucchini and green beans and buffalo chicken pizza for dinner.  Delish! I wish I had taken pictures of the buffalo chicken pizza, but I am sure that is something that is going to make it into our rotation, however, I will share the fried green beans with sauce!







Tempura Green Beans
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
2/3 cup ice water

Sift together the dry ingredients and set aside.
In a medium bowl, beat the egg slightly and mix with the ice water.
Stir in the dry ingredients. Stir only until mixed; mixture will be slightly lumpy.
Honestly, when I got to this point I just dumped the EXTRA LARGE green beans in the bowl and then fried them roughly a minute in some fairly hot vegetable oil, turning once until they were golden brown.


P.F. Chang like- sauce for fried green beans
1 cup  mayonnaise

2 1/2 tablespoons Sriracha hot chili sauce
6 green onions, whites only, coarsely chopped
4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish
Put everything in a blender or a food processor and process till smooth.

Fair warning: this sauce is CRAZY addictive.  I think by the end of the night we were dipping everything in it!!!

No comments: