backgrnd

Nov 15, 2010

Roasted Butternut Squash and Apple Soup with Curry

     While I was changing and putting on a bit of makeup for the pre-Thanksgiving potluck dinner we had this past weekend I asked SA to either put the roasted squash into the blender for me or to put it into the food processor.  When I came back down I stopped and stared.  My helpful non kitchen oriented husband was spooning spoonfuls of my squash mixture into a strainer and straining it through. And there was squash on the ceiling. I was gone less than ten minutes!
     Turns out SA had decided to use the blender and instead of adding chicken stock as I had told him to he was using a spatula to push the squash into the blender.  What happens when you do this?!  The blade eats the spatula.  I panicked when I heard this! I couldn't believe he ruined my beautiful roasted vegetables.  I almost lost my cool.  Luckily right as I was about to launch into a full fledged freak out he recovered the piece of plastic and it was the whole piece.  Crisis averted and I could take back over the process!
     I have made several butternut squash based soups before but by far this is my favorite.  The curry adds a depth and a subtle spice to the creaminess of the squash, but my most favorite thing was the condiments we added! I never would of thought to add banana and coconut but they were an unexpected delicious addition!






Recipe Source: Modified from a Barefoot Contessa Recipe

Curry Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
3 to 4 pounds butternut squash, peeled and seeded
2 yellow onions
2 McIntosh apples, peeled and cored
3 tablespoons good olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 to 4 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
1 teaspoon good curry powder*


Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Cut the butternut squash, onions and apples in 1-inch cubes. Place them on a sheet pan and toss with the olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Divide the squash and the apples and onions into two different pans and spread it in a single layer. Roast Squash for 45 minutes or until very tender and roast the apples and onions for 20 minutes or until tender.
Meanwhile, heat the chicken stock to a simmer. When the vegetables are done either blend them with a little of the chicken stock or put them in a food processor.  When all of the vegetables are processed, place them in a large pot and add enough chicken stock to make a thick soup. Add the curry powder, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.  Reheat and serve hot with condiments either on the side or on top of each serving.

Condiments:
Scallions

Flaked coconut
Roasted cashews, toasted and chopped
Diced banana


* I would recommend starting off with 1/2 a tsp of curry powder and adding it and tasting so you do not put too much in.




7 comments:

Koci said...

Oh no! That was a close one! Although the squash on the ceiling did make me giggle. :D

This butternut squash soup looks delicious. I love the curry!!

Unknown said...

YUM! squash on the ceiling; nicely done! We've had tomatoes and wine, but not squash... yet.

Thanks for stopping by my blog! So glad you've entered the giveaway (good luck!) I'm pleased to return the follow.

To take advantage of the multiple entries, please leave a separate comment for each (they're chosen by a random # system).

Unknown said...

OMG ON YOUR CEILING!! lol

Merut said...

I think in my kitchen it would be the other way around - my fiance would find me digging out the beat up spatula from a food processor. Very funny. He just wanted to get out of sous chef duty forever! I love that you added apples - I'll have to try that. And I love the idea of bananas on top. Delicious!

Christina said...

I have to try this soup! I love butternut squash and curry!

cheerful said...

looks yummy...i love to try it! happy weekend! :)

Lisa said...

I love curry flavors. Great idea to add it to this soup.