backgrnd

Nov 2, 2010

Pumpkin Risotto

     I don't really have much to say about this recipe except its delicious and fulfilling! I made it to go with the apple cider pork loin, but quite honestly this dish can stand by itself and it makes a great vegetarian option! Next time I make it I am definitely not going to serve it with meat or anything else!
I love the delicate tastes of the pumpkin mixing with the hardier rice.



Pumpkin Risotto
1/4 c. Onion finely chopped

1/2 c pumpkin puree
1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 C. Arborio Rice
3 C. Chicken Stock
2 TBSP salted butter
1/3 c Parmesan Cheese (Please use some quality here, folks, none of the fake stuff in the green container!)
1/2 tsp. Basil
salt

     Heat chicken stock in a pot on stove on medium heat. Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for five or so minutes until the onions are no longer crunchy. Add rice into pan and stir for a minute, coating in olive oil. Add the chicken stock, 2 ladles at a time, stirring almost constantly and waiting for the stock to be absorbed before adding more. This process should take 25 to 30 minutes.
     Keep the burner just high enough to barely simmer the stock and risotto. You must pay attention, and stir it more than occasionally, but you don't have to be a slave to the stove top.
     When the risotto has been cooking for 15 minutes, add pumpkin puree and basil. Continue cooking and adding stock, stirring almost constantly, until the rice is tender but still firm. Once it is done, take it off the burner and stir in butter and Parmesan cheese. Salt to taste

3 comments:

Merut said...

I am embarrased to say this, but I've never had risotto before. But it sounds delicious mixed with pumpkin. I may just have to step out of my box and give this a try. Love your cat!

Lea Woodard said...

Sounds taaaaaaasty! I'd like to make that for my boss (who is a vegetarian) and sub vegetable stock. It would also serve a double purpose, as she's never had pumpkin pie!

Faith said...

Merut, thanks! Butters is my baby! You should try risotto, its easier than people make it seem and SUPER yummy! I just looked at your profile and kudos to you for your book choices. I have read GWTW once every year since I was eleven or so :)(From a vintage copy since I was 14)
Lea: DO IT! I bet she would like it and also I was actually thinking that indian spices would be great in it instead of basil! MMmmm!