backgrnd

Apr 7, 2011

Roasted Garlic and Asparagus Risotto with Spicy Sausage, Tomatos and Basil

Oh man, I am trying so hard not to dwell on it but I am REALLY ready for spring.  Today the sun decided to show its glorious face for a few moments and I was ready for it.  I stopped my spring cleaning and rushed out of  our door with Curry (aka the hotdog bandit) to enjoy it for a few moments and when I came back I decided that we needed to have a bit of color for dinner.  Since I haven't gone grocery shopping I decided to make a risotto that was basically born from the little bits of left over stuff we had in our fridge...and it was delicious!

Roasted Garlic and Asparagus Risotto with Spicy Sausage, Tomatos and Basil
1/4 c. Onion finely chopped
1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 C. Arborio Rice
3 C. Chicken Stock
1/2 c. Roasted Asparagus*
2 cloves of roasted garlic
1/4 pound of spicy sausage cooked and crumbled
1 tsp basil
1 small tomato chopped
2 TBSP salted butter
1/3 c Parmesan Cheese (Please use some quality here, folks, none of the fake stuff in the green container!)
salt


Heat chicken stock in a pot on stove on medium heat. Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for five or so minutes until the onions are no longer crunchy. Add rice into pan and stir for a minute, coating in olive oil. Add the chicken stock, 2 ladles at a time, stirring almost constantly and waiting for the stock to be absorbed before adding more. This process should take 25 to 30 minutes.

Keep the burner just high enough to barely simmer the stock and risotto. You must pay attention, and stir it more than occasionally, but you don't have to be a slave to the stove top.
 Continue cooking and adding stock, stirring almost constantly, until the rice is tender but still firm. Once it is done, take it off the burner and stir in butter, Parmesan cheese, spicy sausage, roasted asparagus and garlic and chopped tomato. Salt to taste.


*to roast asparagus and garlic: clean and cut into 1/2 inch diagonals and spread onto a cookie sheet. sprinkle with olive oil, salt and black pepper to taste and broil for roughly five minutes.  Make sure you watch it! When it starts to blacken it goes quick!

3 comments:

aggieam01 said...

By far, this is my favorite!! This makes me want to lick my computer screen!!!!!!

Kristen said...

I am getting a little anxious for spring, too. Arizona is "enjoying" another wind storm....brrrr! That risotto sounds lovely. I love asparagus.

Merut said...

Spring pops by for three hours, then it snows for 10 minutes, then spring comes back. What the heck!? I'm with you, spring fever is driving me to distraction.

I love food that has so many colors in it. I have never made risotto, but everything in this sounds delicious, so I may have to take the plunge.